Monday, September 1, 2014

La Dolce Vita

"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth" (Psalm 119:103)!

Awaken from my slumber by a lawnmower's motor I mistook for a speedboat, I draw back the curtains and find no water in sight. I'm home this Labor Day weekend vacationing in my heart while my body recovers from a grueling work week. My husband sleeps peacefully beside me after his 13-hour night shift duty. As the warm sun streams in turning the night into day, I gaze out on our backyard gardens realizing there's no where else I'd rather be. Who needs a vacation when I'm already living what Italians call "la dolce vita", the sweet life?!

Reading God's Word and relishing my morning tea I'm filled with peace and contentment in the Scriptures. I have more than I need in this earthly life as I take inventory of my possessions. My cupboard is full and food is easy to grasp which humbles me in remembrance of those less fortunate. The Father has provided many human blessings for us to share with others, but the greatest treasure we have is our life in Christ. The Gospel is worth more than our bank account; it's the gift of eternal life for those who possess new life by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

Culinary delights are wonderful, we need to eat to sustain our bodies. But all that I have in this life would ring hollow if not enjoyed with a loving heart transformed by the Holy Spirit. In all seasons of life it is God's Word that binds me to Him, and the reality that all I see before me on earth will one day perish. How do you deal with the certainty of death with an attitude of hopeful anticipation of eternity? By resting in the sufficiency of Christ's sacrifice and not on the inadequacies of your on rituals and deeds.

While time will erode the lovely gardens surrounding my house God's Word stands forever. It is the only thing that will last! Holding the Scriptures in my mind and my heart I am filled in my soul; more satisfied than anything I could put in my mouth. "I have not departed from the command of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food" (Job 23:12).

As you enjoy a respite from work with family and friends this Labor Day, may you feast on the words of the only Living God and find your joy complete. "How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth" (Psalm 119:103)!



Your fellow herald for Jesus,

Mary  

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mary Singer Wick. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your blog " Extravagant Life" and the post on it " La Doice Vita". I am blessed to go through your post. I am glad to know love for the Lord. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai, India a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Chrit to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as adutls from the West to come to Mumbai on a short/ long term missions tirp to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to touch the lives of the most needy in the slums of Mumbai with the love of Christ by being His hands and feet. We would love to speak to our women in the churches too. Looking forward to hear from you. My email id is : dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete