Sunday, August 17, 2014

That Was Nice

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life" (Proverbs 4:23)

Vows were exchanged on a warm summer day at the country home of her parents. The young bride aglow with her handsome young groom stood confident; eager to begin their journey. Whisked away to the reception hall the minister was unable to join them. Mother-of-the-bride beckons my help; asking me to say the blessing before the meal. Honored and scared for I don't take this task lightly, God put Psalm 145-3-4 in my heart. My prayer for these newlyweds is centered on these verses as I bow before the Lord. Returning to my seat and the comments of some guests, "Oh, that was nice" was all they said.

Pondering the fascination our society has with outlandish wedding ceremonies that give little credence to God's view of marriage I was grateful this family focused on Christ's blessing. After all, a beautiful wedding is a lovely event but a beautiful marriage is a lasting legacy for generations to come. This is my hope for this dashing young couple, that they seek to follow The Lord and teach their future children how to love Jesus.

Nearly twelve years since my own wedding day I praise God for the gift of my husband. As we continue to grown in our love and knowledge of the Lord and each other, I am continually learning that marriage is an on going ministry of sacrifice. We must seek to do what is best for the two of us (in accordance with God's Word), not what we individually desire. The process of "becoming one" as husband and wife goes on forever. It's more than a joining of hands and exchanging rings at the ceremony.

The Holy Spirit is our Helper. He will keep our hearts committed and faithful as we obey all that the Father has commanded. This surrender of our will to God's will is for our good and our protection! My hope for my marriage and all Christian unions is that people won't just say, "Oh, that was nice" but rather "Look what God did--I want that, too!" Seek the Lord with humility and repentance and He will give you much more than a great marriage. He will give you everlasting life whether you are single, married, divorced or widowed. "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life" (Proverbs 4:23)

Your fellow herald for Jesus,

Mary  

No comments:

Post a Comment